The Grounds Superintendent of Athletics plays a crucial role in providing well-maintained and visually appealing athletic grounds at South Carolina State University. Working under the direction of C&W Services, the Grounds Superintendent is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the athletic facility's grounds maintenance and ensuring that all areas are safe, functional, and aesthetically pleasing for both athletes and spectators. This position requires strong leadership skills, horticultural knowledge, and the ability to manage a team effectively.
1. Grounds Maintenance: Oversee and perform regular maintenance and improvement tasks for athletic grounds, including but not limited to mowing, trimming, edging, fertilizing, and irrigation management.
2. Turf Management: Implement and maintain effective turf management practices, including sod installation, seeding, aeration, and fertilization to ensure the fields are in optimal condition.
3. Landscaping: Develop and maintain attractive landscape designs for athletic facilities, including flower beds, shrubs, and trees, ensuring a welcoming and visually appealing environment.
4. Equipment and Facility Management: Coordinate the maintenance, repair, and proper operation of groundskeeping equipment, ensuring they are in good working order for daily use. Provide guidelines and train staff on equipment usage and safety protocols.
5. Team Management: Supervise, train, and schedule groundskeeping staff, ensuring efficient workflow and adherence to safety guidelines. Foster a positive work climate and encourage professional growth within the team.
6. Pest and Weed Control: Develop and implement integrated pest and weed management programs to maintain a healthy and attractive athletic landscape while minimizing the use of pesticides and herbicides.
7. Budget Management: Contribute to the development of the annual groundskeeping budget, monitoring expenses, and ensuring cost-effective practices without compromising the quality of work.
8. Compliance and Safety: Ensure compliance with all relevant safety guidelines and regulations, regularly inspecting grounds, and addressing any potential hazards promptly. Develop and enforce safety protocols for the groundskeeping team.
9. Collaboration: Work closely with university staff, coaches, and other stakeholders to align ground maintenance activities with athletic programs' needs and ensure the facility is ready for events and competitions.
10. Sustainability: Promote sustainable practices within the groundskeeping operations, including water conservation, recycling, and the use of environmentally friendly materials and technologies.
11. And any other duties assigned by management.
- High school diploma or equivalent; degree or certification in horticulture, turf management, or a related field experience is preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in groundskeeping or turf management, preferably within a college or athletic facility setting.
- Strong knowledge of turf and landscape maintenance techniques, including irrigation systems, fertilization, and pest control.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team and excellent leadership skills.
- Proficient in operating landscaping and maintenance equipment, such as mowers, trimmers, and irrigation systems.
- Ability to interpret and implement landscape architectural plans.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks effectively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of safety practices and regulations in groundskeeping operations.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, based on the needs of the athletic facility.
C&W Services is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmativeâ‹ Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Cushman & Wakefield, please call the ADA line at 1-888-365-5406 or email. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.
Work for the Best in the Industry - make your next move here!
Cushman & Wakefield is a leading global real estate services firm. As a leader in multifamily property management, we deliver exceptional value through tailored solutions that create efficient and engaging communities. Our passionate approach, strong operational practices and high-performing teams unlock every property’s ability to provide residents with a place they can truly call home.